Harrison Infrastructure Group was commissioned to prepare a Road Link Plan for the Jackson-Wandoan Road. The project was required for forward planning as a result of growing pressures on the function of the existing link.
The project entailed looking at the 20 year vision for the link on a predominately rural road of high commercial vehicles. The link plan identified the pressures being put on the link from the development of the Surat Basin and coal seam gas industry, rail, quarry, power station, feed lot industry and travel generated by strategic seasonal freight, cattle and heavy loads.
In carrying out the link plan, HIG identified traffic growth, makeup of traffic types, commuter traffic movement and any likely changes to the function of the link. This allowed us to identify key areas of deficiencies where pressures would likely lead to performance issues.
Our HIG team identified key areas in need of upgrade to widen road to vision standard;
- Identification of overtaking capacity needs;
- Upgrading of culverts and bridge structures;
- Upgrading of intersections to meet current standards;
- Areas of substandard horizontal and vertical geometry;
- Provision of rest and stopping places;
- Areas of pavement rehabilitation; and
- Maintenance requirements.
Strategic priorities and strategic estimates were formulated for the entire road link to identify future works over the next 20 years. The Road Link Plan was then compiled and finalised to allow TMR to proceed with their forward planning with confidence.